"Grinnin' like a mule eatin' saw briars."

Monday, August 23, 2010

Things we think about ...

Chasing some small stream 'bows at Tremont yesterday morning, I had to laugh. Not at the size of the eager little turds, but at what I was thinking about. TV. I've never watched too much, but my wife loves shows. Good ones at least, so there are never "reality" shows on in our house, unless it involves cooking. So... here are some musings on TV entertainment.

Best shows: The only time I really watched a lot of TV was in college. And that was only because I had to stay home and study, and didn't like to study at all. So TV was a great way to bide my time. Here's my list of shows that I really came to enjoy.

Frasier. Could there ever be a dynamic like that on TV again? Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce played snobby socialites to perfection. No show has ever made me laugh so hard. I've even bought all 11 seasons on DVD. Can't get enough, wish there was a reunion show in the works.

Seinfeld. We actually had a finale party my senior year in college. Well, three of us did. Seinfeld reminded me of everyone in my life; I thought of myself as Jerry, not that I was funny, but I seemed to date girls that were way too good looking for me. Just like Jerry. But even he was more of a failure with them, and that made me glad to watch.

X-Files. Probably my favorite. Not only did I watch religiously, but I even dated a girl only because she looked like Scully. The conspiracy buff within was made whole by X-Files, and the show was even pretty deep when you began to see the big picture.

Nowhere Man. Didn't last long, but it was superb. Again, another X-Files type show that didn't quite hit the big markets. If you're unfamiliar with the show, I'll give you a quick rundown. A documentary photographer named Thomas Veil took a photo of a war crime -- when "they" find out, he loses everything and no one seems to know who he is. He secures the hidden negatives and sets off to find the truth. It was a great show and I'll always think about what could've been.

Honorable mentions: Twin Peaks and Everybody Loves Raymond. Loved 'em. But not as much as those mentioned above.

Anyway, I promise not to talk too much about TV or movies, unless I have another day on the water where I think about it. It's funny what comes to mind when fishing alone. Maybe it's reminiscing, maybe it's thinking back to simpler times in your life. I don't know. I don't get too deep about things, even with nymphing lines.

No comments: